A new documentary that follows a team of video activists in Homs, Syria reveals they embellished footage to make it appear more dramatic—in this case setting fire to a tire in an alley to create a column of smoke in the background (skip to 8:05). While nobody is debating the extent of the crackdown in the country, episodes like this surely give the Assad regime something to point to when they claim the resistance is fraudulent, no doubt.
So why’d they do it?
The activist tells us by email: “I set the tire on fire because there was a violent shelling on Baba Amr district and we couldn’t reach it. We are being killed with cold blood by the occupying Assad regime. This is the idea that came to my mind to show the world about the shelling as the sky of Homs was covered with smoke.”
“They are desperate to get the word out,” the producer of the documentary later said. “But they don’t need to embellish. It’s all around.”
As my lecturer said today “I’ve always thought Nasty, Brutish and Short would be a great name for a band”.
I’m very impressed by the premium channels, particularly (and perhaps predictably, as I’ve been a fan of Phil de Franco and obviously Hank and John for years and years) SourceFed, SciShow and — the channel the video above is from — CrashCourse. Having felt rather disenchanted with a lot of videos I’ve watched recently, it’s great to find the premium channels aren’t just shiny and empty but actually full of really brilliant stuff. Tres bien!
Although John… no more meat grinding please. Queasy vegetarian.
Bits of CrashCourse (particularly the elephant letter) remind me of CutewithChris. Do you guys remember CutewithChris? Five stars. Most of you probably weren’t even born when CutewithChris made regular videos (I am feeling my age at the moment).
So this is one of the most beautiful fan trailers for Doctor Who I’ve ever seen. Whether you’re a long-time Whovian or someone who doesn’t understand why their dash is flooded with Doctor Who things every Saturday, watch this. It’s worth it.
1. ONE (1) London to Orlando boarding pass. Summer began by flying to LeakyCon.
2. a. ONE (1) Oyster card to facilitate travel around London. b. ONE (1) Sopio starter pack.
3. ONE (1) photograph of me and my father, spending time on the beach. I am one year old.
4. ONE (1) photograph of me and my father, on someone’s birthday. I am two or three.
5. ONE (1) photograph taken by or featuring my father, flying a kite, many moons ago.
6. a. ONE (1) panda ring to confirm my membership in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pandas. b. ONE big red bus earring.
7. ALMOST ONE (>1) Harry Potter Lego figure, missing a leg from a traumatic accident.
8. ONE (1) copy of Buscando A Alaska (Looking for Alaska by John Green) with my favourite cover, given to me very kindly by Moka at LeakyCon.
9. ONE (1) fake pink flower, attached to the present a sister gave me for my birthday.
10. ONE (1) Harry Potter money tin saving for California 2012.
11. ONE (1) snowglobe given to me by my parents when I was younger.
12. ONE (1) copy of Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, purchased in Orlando, devoured in San Diego.
13. ONE (1) sizeable stack of birthday cards.
14. ONE (1) strong woman on the front of my sister’s birthday card.
15. EIGHT (8) Moleskine City Notebooks, documenting my attempts to take over the world.
16. ONE (1) copy of Ellen Hardcastle, Hank Green’s album released this summer.
17. ONE (1) Get Well Soon card purchased in a supermarket for my father mere hours before he died.
18. ONE (1) uncompleted dissertation outline.
19. ZERO (0) theses.
20. ONE (1) pair of amazing reflective aviators acquired with Ariana, Tyler, Forest and Kristina.
21. ONE (1) pair of Harry Potter 3D glasses [not IMAX compatible].
22. ONE (1) Radio Times with two of my favourite people on the cover [see: J.K. Rowling, David Tennant]
23. ONE (1) September 2011 Glamour magazine, purchased on my way home this evening.
24. ONE (1) secret diary [nearly full].
25. ONE (1) pair of wedges, from the time we meant to go to Target just so one of us could buy a new swimming costume and all left with heels or wedges.
26. ONE (1) Wonderstruck bag, acquired at BEA.
27. a. ONE (1) pile of books being read and reread b. ONE (1) Firefly boxset c. ONE (1) cup of tea in a Dalek mug.
28. ONE (1) picture of friends.
29. MANY (?!) convention and conference passes.
30. a. ONE (1) Bre b. ONE (1) Rosianna.
31. MANY (?!) photographs of friends.
32. a. ONE (1) Hayley b. TWO (2) Rosiannas c. ONE (1) Sammy d. ONE (1) Helen.
33. ONE (1) set of work hours.
34. ONE (1) September.
35. ONE (1) Harry Potter Premiere press wristband.
36. ONE (1) Harry Potter Premiere press pass.
37. ONE (1) list of memories written on Hyatt stationery the morning after my dad’s death.
38. a. ONE (1) Rosianna b. ONE (1) Dad.
39. ONE (1) comfy situation.
40. ONE (1) Great Perhaps, brought to you by Rabelais, Green and Joanna (who created the beautiful book I framed so that I always remember to seek it).
41. ONE (1) Rosianna, nostalgic on Hungerford Bridge.
42. a. INFINITE (∞) bubbles, born on the South Bank. b. ONE (1) girl c. ONE (1) father.